Achilles

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on October 26, 2011

Do you really want to name your child after the one person in history whose name is synonymous with weakness?

Anna October 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I totally agree people are out of control, however, this is a name in Southern Europe. Achille is an Italian name. He was a Greek HERO of the Iliad. Not a weak man BTW. Although, for myself, I do like weird ethnic names.

Lemonjello Redenbacher October 28, 2011 at 9:44 am

Sigh…never mind.

SimpleEnough November 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm

It’s still sounds stupid here in America!

Anna December 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Wait ’til I tell you the other family names( these have been around since the Roman empire) Ippolito(Hippolytus) Consiglia, Plautilla, Piacentina, and Cesedio. I think Newt, Mitt, and Mason are bull shit names. So who gets to decide what’s “AMerican” enough.

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

The majority of Amercians.

And I agree – Newt, Mitt & Mason do suck. I’d say Mason is the least shitty of these – and it’s a tie of knee-deep shittiness between the other two.

Shea December 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm

My dog is named Achilles.

Captain Obvious February 26, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Piacentina reminds me of a Placenta.

George April 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I nearly shit my pants. That is hilarious.

John December 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Wouldn’t want that kid on my kickball team. The team is only as strong as the weakest link; Achilles heal… Whatever.

Stephen January 23, 2013 at 7:04 pm

It’s strange that you guys are making fun of Achilles, while so many of the true US names are beyond comprehension worldwide. Of course, as a true American you’ll say “who gives a f*ck about the rest of the world” while in the same time you come up with all these weird names for your kids so they can be bullied later. I’ve had a friend (yes, had) who cut me off because I questioned her decision of calling her baby boy Chance. That was 16 years ago. The boy ain’t doing good in school.

Lemonjello Redenbacher February 14, 2013 at 9:49 am

Wait – so YOU criticized someone else’s kid’s name – but I’M the “American asshole” for doing the same? Seems like you’re more of an American than you give yourself credit for.

Bishop's Mom May 22, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Chance isn’t really that unusual here in America. Mason isn’t a shitty name! It’s getting a little too popular for me though.