Tuppence

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on July 13, 2011

Yeah, yeah – I know that this pops up in Australia. ┬áBut here in the U.S., it’s not a good idea to name your child this if you plan to have her go to school here. ┬áThink ahead, motherfuckers!

ConchordsFan July 14, 2011 at 9:01 am

Looks like it’s time for comeuppance for parents naming their kids Tuppance!

Cat July 31, 2011 at 6:04 am

I’m Australian, I’ve never heard of anyone called Tuppence. I live in Sydney & work with children (in a very pretentious part of town which = many stupid names). Tuppence is a freaking stupid name and I assure you most Australians would agree.

Lemonjello Redenbacher August 2, 2011 at 6:28 am

Good on ya, Mate!

Fellow August 3, 2011 at 7:06 am

The part of this that bothers me is that, as far as I know, ‘tuppence’ means two pence and is used to describe something cheap. If this is a girl’s name, doesn’t that doom her to a future of whoredom?

Linda October 14, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Tuppence Beresford is a fictional detective in Agatha Christie’s novels and stories (together with her husband Tommy). Of course, they’re nowhere near as famous as Poirot Or Miss Marple. However, the character’s real name was Prudence and Tuppence was just a nickname that her friends called her by.

Lemonjello Redenbacher October 15, 2011 at 7:15 am

This might be the most ridiculous thing that has ever been posted on this site.

Spadge Arooni November 14, 2011 at 9:02 pm

It does occur over here in Australia… not sure what is says on his birth cert. but Desmond Tuppence Moran was recently topped by a hitman hired by his sister in law, the wicked Moran matriarch Judy Moran, who is now in jail. She clearly was not fond of his name.

Ergo Nomic November 19, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Feed the birds…..Tuppence.

Anonymous November 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm

My daughter is called Tuppence, Tuppy for short and I love her name! When I tell people her name they tend to love it, and if they don’t I really don’t care! There are far worse crimes than calling your child Tuppence going on in the world, to worry about and discuss in forums, although I do agree everyone has the right to like or dislike a name!

Lemonjello Redenbacher November 27, 2011 at 7:39 am

Of course you love her name – you fucking gave it to her!

By the way – it sucks. Always will.

Nemo January 22, 2016 at 4:34 pm

It’s an adorable name – good for you Anonymous.

Shea December 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm

For some reason it reminds me of Tupperware. Perhaps this name wasbrought to us by the folks at rubbermaid or glad?

Artemis December 28, 2011 at 10:55 pm

If I ever meet a Tuppence I shall react by throwing breadcrumbs at them while screaming, “Feed the birds, Tuppence a bag!!”.

Luke January 24, 2012 at 6:12 pm

From America: Tuppence is a great name. One only has to read Agatha Christie’s stories about Tommy and Tuppence to fall in love with the girl and the name!

Lemonjello Redenbacher January 25, 2012 at 7:39 am

Ummm, yeah.

Anonymous May 26, 2012 at 9:12 am

i think it’s cool,

just plain jen August 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm

At least it sounds white, it is punctuated and capitalized properly, and sounds like an English word!

Ella December 28, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Tommy and Tuppence are my favourite of Agatha Christie’s detectives! :)

As an Australian I’ve never heard of or met anyone named Tuppence (or Adelaide). Probably because it was once a denomimation here so it would make more sense for it to be used as a name in a place where there never was such a unit of currency.

Anonymous September 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm

People name children “Penny”, why not “Tuppence”? Cuter for a cat or dog though I think. BTW, I went to scool with a girl named Penny Nichols… what were her parents thinking?!

me September 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Well the name “Penny” is nice enough… why not Tuppence, it’s twice as much! Seriously cute name for like a cat though. (P.S. I went to school with a girl name Penny Nichols… I’m sure you would have slapped her parents.)

Anon July 12, 2014 at 11:38 am

You know that tuppence here in the UK means vagina? Tuppy is a crude way of saying it. Just writing tuppy makes me cringe! Awful word!

Lindsey July 12, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Yep…this makes me sing, “tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag” and want to feed the birds.