Antigone

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on December 4, 2010

There’s not one really solid thing I can put my finger on about this name and why it’s shit.  It just looks and sounds awful.  It sounds more like an insect repellent than a name.

Anonymous December 7, 2010 at 3:04 pm

It could be seen as a literary name, if the parents wished to name her after the heroine of Sophocles’s play “Antigone”.

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 7, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Sure it could – but that wouldn’t make it any less shitty.

Anonymous December 7, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Although I guess it could sound like an insect repellent if you pronounced it as anti-gone.
But, it’s pronounced as an-ti-go-NEE.

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I know how it’s pronounced. That’s the shitty way I was talking about.

Anonymous December 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm

It’s sad that you’re so uncultured. Learn to appreciate art and culture. Literary names are not “stupid”.

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 7, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Not all of them, no. But this one is.

And don’t be too sad about my culture – I’ve been to 16 countries, lived in a country foreign to mine for 4 years, been to the Louvre, skied in the Austrian Alps, been in the Roman Coliseum, visited the Berlin Wall when it was still up, and I have Ralph Waldo Emerson in my family tree. I think my culture is just fine.

vomiting January 20, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I’d honestly expect for the parents of a newborn Antigone to be about 22 years old, just out of an arts degree at university and painfully, ironically hip.

Antigone sounds cute to my ears, but I’d have to be a twat to name my child Antigone. The association to one character is too strong. I also wouldn’t name by child Hercules. Just embarrassing for the parents.

Artemis January 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

In Greek mythology, Antigone is the daughter of Oedipus and Jocasta, who, by the way, are mother and son. Naming your daughter after the result of incest, that’s cultured…

Ricarda June 23, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Lemonjello Redenbacher, I envy you. But seeing as I was born years after the Berlin Wall fell, I’m confident that I still have a chance to be as cultured as you one day (I know it sounds ironical, but I’m serious). Now for the name: It’s a name that children nowadays shouldn’t be burdened with. As pretty and meaningful as it may be, parents who name their daughters like that are irresponsible.

Anonymous May 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm

So, you were stationed in Germany for four years and got to travel during your 16 other years. Hey, that’s great. The Army is a great way for poor kids to get a step up in life, but it doesn’t teach you shit about culture. This is a good name, just not in this time period. Fashions come and go, and it’ll be back.

Lemonjello Redenbacher June 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Your reading is lacking. Never been in the Army – never been poor. In fact, when I lived in Germany I was in the only family in a German village – so I know culture.

And this name sucks dick.

Vyrmyn December 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Get an education, Lemonjello.

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I can absolutely promise you I am more educated than you.