Zipporah

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on August 22, 2010

Hoy SHIT!  Have you all been aware of this piece of shit and been keeping it from me?  I had no idea that this existed.  I assumed that this person invented it.

The best part is that I needed more shitty names that started with Z for my list, and this one fits nicely!

Miriam September 10, 2010 at 9:19 am

It’s a Biblical name… Moses mother. Fairly popular in some parts of the world. (It’s my daughter’s Hebrew name, Tzipporah. We don’t call her that unless we’re using Hebrew.) The Yiddish is Fagel (rhymes with Bagel) which is worse… that’s what my family wanted me to name my son — we went with Kyle.

Lemonjello Redenbacher September 10, 2010 at 9:45 am

Ahhh…here we go again with my favorite excuse for naming your kid something shitty, “But — it’s in the bible!” And this time it’s even coupled with the “some of these names are shitty, but MY kid’s name is fine.”

Here are a few other names from the bible. For the record, these are complete shit too, and should never be used:

Beelzebub
Diklah
Gomer
Uzzi
Habakkuk

Miriam September 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Like I said, we don’t call her that unless we’re using Hebrew. And then, it’s not so unusual. (Heck, Tzipi Livni, a fairly famous Israeli politician — her full name is Tzipora). Also, the most popular name in Israel right now for girls is Noa, which is Biblical. Not naming any daughters in America that, just letting you know that location may make a difference.

Let’s see, you could also go with Arpachshad, Zelophehad… I know one or two guys named Pinchas, but apparently the English version of that is Phineas.

Ricarda June 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Moses mother’s name was Yocheved. Zipporah was his wife. What’s so bad about this name? I think it’s one of the nicer ones mentioned in the Bible. It certainly sounds like a real name, at least to me.

Lemonjello Redenbacher June 21, 2011 at 4:04 pm

The Bible means absolutely nothing to me, so the fact that any certain name appears in the Bible makes no difference.

Ricarda June 29, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Well, the Bible means nothing to me, either. And I bloody hate the argument: “But this name is mentioned in the Bible, meaning it’s legitimate!” I think perhaps Jewish families could allow themselves to call their daughter Zipporah. But I live in Germany, I’ve no idea what a Zipporah would presumably be treated by her classmates in your country.

rochelle October 1, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Again, Lemonjello, no need to be all protective of your stupid freaking Atheism. I am a Christian myself, and I like the name, but I have to admit that it’s weird in America. The nickname “Zippy” doesn’t appeal to me- then you get to “Hey, Zippy, your zippy is downie!” This whole site is about OPINION, not a set bunch of rules that you dictate. I’ve seen several names on here that I do like, but there’s no need for you to whine about this. So shut up. We don’t care.

Lemonjello Redenbacher October 3, 2011 at 6:37 am

First of all, the site is what the fuck I say it’s about, because I am the one who created the site. Secondly, YOU may not care, but the thousands of people who keep coming back day after day seem to care.

Antonia October 8, 2011 at 7:17 am

Zipporah is a real name. I knew sisters called Zipporah and Bathsheba… personally I felt Bathsheba got the raw end of the deal. Zipporah’s pretty cool. As an atheist, don’t care about whether it’s in the Bible etc or not. I just like the name.

Lemonjello Redenbacher October 8, 2011 at 7:50 am

Congratulations – you have shitty taste.

Vash April 5, 2012 at 8:12 pm

1. Finally someone agrees with me on the bible…. Along with it being so fucking hypocritical… 2. another Z name, I unfortunately have met, she was a complete bitch, Zieasha.