Zebediah

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on July 29, 2010

I found the name Zebediah on a list of names that the site claimed were “cool and unique” — but not weird.

Really?  Zebediah is not fucking weird?  If that’s the case, then I must be weird myself — because that shit sounds pretty weird to me.  And I bet it will sound weird to a 6th grader craving someone to pick on, too.

Ashley November 19, 2010 at 12:01 am

It’s a chapter in the Old Testament, FYI.

Lemonjello Redenbacher November 19, 2010 at 10:44 am

Oh – in that case it’s the best name EVER!

I’m totally kidding — that makes it even worse, actually.

Habakkuk is also a book in the Old Testament, and that would be the shittiest name ever (and if I were to look I bet you I could find a kid with that name somewhere out there).

rochelle October 1, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Ashley…. Genisis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1st & 2nd Samuel, 1st & 2nd Kings, 1st & 2nd Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Songs, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomen, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lametations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Mica, Naaum, Habakuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zachariah, Malachi….

IN OTHER WORDS ZEBEDIAH IS NOT A BOOK IN THE OLD TESTAMENT!!! Or in the new testament, for that matter. I could go through that, too, but I’m not going to. Case closed.

Surain October 20, 2011 at 8:59 am

That website’s opinion clearly states:

“If you’re looking for an unusual baby boy name, avoid name trends. Right now the “ADEN” names are all the rage– Aiden, Caden, Jaden, Braden, Hayden, you name it. So if you choose a name like Zayden or Rayden, you’ll have an unusual name, but it will still be trendy.”

Lord knows I want nothing more than for my child to a sheep in the herd of trend-followers. Gag.

Ralph February 14, 2012 at 7:10 pm

WHOA! Brainwave! Aden-bingo! Play it with a newspaper Births column! Recently I was nauseated to read a column in which there was, all on the one column, a Brayden, a Hayden, a Jayden and an Aiden….BINGO!

Bill April 18, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Let me guess, the same people who named their kid Zebulon also named this one Zebediah, right? I wouldn’t be surprised.

See Robert A. Heinlein’s “Number of the Beast”. Zeb and Zebulon were characters in the book. That doesn’t make it a good name for your kid though. Not unless it’s his middle name.

Heinlein’s other outstanding character is named Lazarus and I’ve only met one person with that name, but know there are many others.

Oh… Wait. Never mind. You only read non-fiction books. So sad as good fiction and/or well written science fiction (Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, et al) will stretch your imagination.

Interested Observer August 15, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Zebidiah isn’t that uncommon amongst ruraler and ethnic groups. It’s hebrew. Mostly it gets shortened to Zeb. Spelling it here is probably a bit less common.

The strange way to twist that name is actually Zebekiah. Most famously used as a wrestler’s stage name and amish directed jokes.