Naoise

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on April 8, 2010

Guess how to pronounce this one?  Come on — guess!  Noise?  Nay-oise?  Nay-osh?

WRONG!  It’s Nee-sha.  Why, then, do they not spell it Neesha?  That’s just the way of the world these days.  Sad…but true.

Dec September 10, 2011 at 6:50 am

thats cause its irish stupid

Shea December 31, 2011 at 12:21 am

Dec short for Declan?

Captain Obvious February 26, 2012 at 2:40 am

NEVER name your kid(s) after fucking mythological people!

Bride November 28, 2012 at 12:32 pm

This name is gorgeous and has cultural significance, but because some tiny brained eejit can’t be bothered to spend 30 seconds looking on Google it should be wiped out? That’s just the way of the world these days. Sad…but true.

Lemonjello Redenbacher November 28, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I did look it up. In fact, I HAD to look it up to fucking pronounce it. THAT is the problem. The name is shit.

Xenerick November 19, 2013 at 5:26 am

Naming children after mythological figures is just not a good idea, especially Irish, Scottish, and other obscure pantheons. First of all who do you think you are naming your child after a member of a pantheon. Secondly obscure pantheons have names that are spelled weird and nobody will be able to pronounce it, and unless you are in Ireland no one will know who your named after. Even if you are in Ireland they still may not know. In the end it is stupid for a multitude of reasons. I am not going to name my son Thor, or Zeus, or Heracles, etc. Because it make me look like a prick. Same thing with Irish gods except it makes you look like a double prick one for naming your child after a god, and the other for naming your child something unpronounceable.

Lindsey June 24, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I figured this was pronounced similar to Saoirse, which I had to look up the first time I saw it.

How about “bring on da na-oise, bring on da funk!”??