Afrodite

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on February 24, 2010

Yep — you read it right.  And I didn’t screw up the spelling, Mom and Dad did.  Apparently this girl is the African-American equivalent of the Greek goddess Aphrodite.

Katina March 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

I hate this. They take what is a pretty common Greek name and butcher it into some ignorant word that anyone would be ashamed to wear as their name. Stupid fucking people.

Quevyn Smythe May 8, 2011 at 10:58 am

Dymo-mite! I love afro’s.

M August 28, 2011 at 12:58 am

Actually, “Afrodite” (or even “Afroditi”) is a perfectly legitimate transliteration of the Modern Greek Αφροδίτη, while the “Aphrodite” alternative is really rather old hat, and only appropriate for references to the Ancient Greek goddess.

Lemonjello Redenbacher August 28, 2011 at 6:26 am

Really? Do you really want to be *that* person, M?

Priya November 29, 2011 at 2:21 am

And I thought just plain old Aphrodite was bad…

Anna December 26, 2011 at 4:35 am

This is a normal name, VERY common in Europe …It’s a Greek name. If you are not used with it, I can understand your reaction, but to us, in Europe, Jeremy is equally a completely strange and fun name. :) Might be strange for USA, but certainly not for the rest of the world.

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I’M NOT IN EUROPE YOU DUMB FUCK! I AM WRITING FROM AN AMERICAN POINT OF VIEW! PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION!

MC202 June 18, 2012 at 3:44 am

So sad (for you) you can’t understand that internet is a whole world communication.. you are losing the best of it!
When you reduce all to the american point of view you loose 4/5 of it..

Lemonjello Redenbacher June 29, 2012 at 6:10 am

Not sad at all!

Greta December 11, 2012 at 1:30 am

I have to agree with MC202…I’m American and I think your site is funny but its also interesting to hear the point of view of other cultures. Kind of unnecessary for you to be so douchey when Anna was just adding her own reflection on the name Afrodite and sharing a name that would be considered silly where she’s from…Isn’t the whole point of allowing comments to be posted by your readers for you to get feedback?

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 11, 2012 at 7:49 am

No. What the fuck do you think this is…Benetton?

This is a site where I tell you what names are shitty. Period. If you want to hold hands and discuss culture variations, go hang out at the UN.

PJO Fangirl December 9, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Well, Lemonjello Redenbacher, I do have to admit, the name Afrodite is a bit odd from an American point of view, and I realize it isn’t all that weird everywhere on this earth. The problem here is that you seem incapable of receiving feedback on any level without upsetting yourself and/or the criticizer. I believe that you should be more polite. Even though a reviewer may have started an argument, you should be the bigger person, because you submitted this stupid kid name. I am not saying either of you are at fault, though. These are just my observations. But, in all seriousness, I must ask this question: Honestly, just how old are you?

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 10, 2014 at 7:44 am

11. And fuck you.

PJO Fangirl December 12, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Fuck YOU, and may all the Gods of Olympus and otherwise banish your soul to the deepest, darkest part of Tartarus, after you are thrown in each of Hades’ rivers, each one more painful than the next.

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 15, 2014 at 11:19 am

I’ll sit out on the curb and wait for it!