Vida

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on January 21, 2010

Sometimes I’m not as baffled by the name itself as I am about the reason the parents claim they came up with it.  Vida isn’t the worst name I’ve ever heard, and it’s the name of the newest addition to astonishingly awful actor Matthew McConaughey’s brood.    Matt says, “Vida is Portugeuse for “life,” and that’s what God gave us this morning.

Have you ever met a person named Life?  My bet is that you haven’t.  Reason?  It’s fucking stupid — in any language.

Hell February 27, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Actually in the UK I have met older ladies with this name, it is a nickname usually but it’s pronounced Vi-da not Vee-da.

Kathryn September 11, 2010 at 10:53 am

Those who claim to have come up with it are lying! Or just plain stupid! Vida is an old Slavic name. It’s decent enough for a girl and respectable enough for an adult.
Don’t give a kid a name from another culture. I don’t care how much you like it. It never works out for the kid.

Katie July 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Yeah, most people know of it as ‘life’. This kid might not have a very good ‘Vida’.

H October 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Kathryn, it’s sometimes OK to give kids names from other cultures, as long as it doesn’t allude to anything bad, sound funny, have an absurd meaning, or be difficult to pronounce. Admit it, there are some foreign names that you think are super awesome. I would rather have a foreign name than be an Emily or Mary or (insert overused and overrated name).

H November 16, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Think again before you say things like, “It never works out for the kid.” Foreign does not equal bizzare, humiliating, ridiculous, or stupid. If it does, then everyone would stay within their own country and have a severe, out of control hatred for people other than their own race.

Lemonjello Redenbacher November 17, 2011 at 6:53 am

This is the most overblown, ridiculous statement I have ever read.

Artemis December 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm