Hermione

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on December 19, 2009

When I first saw this name, I thought that there is no way someone was really considering naming their child something this awful.  Then I discovered that it was the name of some little snarfle or witch or sorceress — some shit from Harry Potter.  Then it all made sense.  Some people just can’t separate fantasy from reality.

Unfortunately, in the fantasy world, little Hermione is apparently beloved and not teased.  The reality will be much different.

KayKay January 20, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I love all your posts…. but this one is a real name. Somewhat old fashioned, sure. But it wasn’t just invented as a random string of phonemes like some of these names.

“In Greek mythology, Hermione was a daughter of Menelaus and Helen. Whilst her parents were away fighting, Hermione was being raised by her aunt, Clytemnestra. Hermione is also a character in Shakespeare’s play “The Winter’s Tale”.”
Perhaps we should just be glad that no one is naming their kid Clytemnestra. ;)

Lemonjello Redenbacher January 21, 2010 at 10:20 am

Thanks for posting, KayKay — but a) I can’t make the leap from Greek mythology to “real name” and b) even if it was a real name, it still sounds ridiculous.

Hermy Spermy, anyone?

Katia January 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I’d call it legit EXCEPT I bet you twenty bucks that the parent wouldn’t have thought of it if it weren’t for Harry Potter!!

Kathryn September 11, 2010 at 11:11 am

We have a cat named Hermione. We call her Mione.

Priya October 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I love that name!
…but only because I love Hermione Granger.

Herp De Derp May 14, 2013 at 10:18 pm

xcuse me, i like hermione from harry potter. -.-

Chuck February 8, 2014 at 8:31 pm

This was actually the first name of my High School German Teacher. That said, she was a German immigrant, not a natural born American citizen. There is no reason for an American to name their kid this.

Indigo Aldron August 15, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Thankfully people like you don’t speak for all of America.

Eiran September 30, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Hermione is also a character in Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale.