Breccan

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on November 4, 2009

Anyone else think this made up name sounds more like something you’d call a hard, peanut-buttery candy, rather than a living, breathing little child?

I hate this little fad of making up names, but for Christ’s sake — if you’re gonna do it, at least make up something that sounds pleasing to the ears.  This sounds like a lifelong smoker hacking up some lung butter.

Breccan November 7, 2009 at 1:09 am

It’s actually a real name with Gaelic roots.

-Breccan

Lemonjello Redenbacher November 7, 2009 at 8:05 am

You are, in fact, correct. Breccan has been used as a name before. However, that doesn’t make it a “real name” by any stretch of the imagination. It still sounds like shit.

Question — have the Gaels all had their voice boxes rooted out with a rusty soda can, or are they all just deaf and unable to hear the disgusting sound of their concocted names?

KB July 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s a “made up” name. As was stated before, it IS a real name solely based on the fact that it’s a name with a history – it’s been around for centuries. It may not be common but that doesn’t mean it’s not a real name.

It is Irish, so it’s not a traditional American spelling, and although it may look like one of these “modern” names where the parents excessively overuse letters just to make the name look “unique”, it’s not (i.e. Maddisynn instead of Madison, or Bayleigh instead of Bailey).

Specifically, Breccan was the name of a saint from the Isle of Aran.

Lemonjello Redenbacher July 5, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Okay – I’ll give you that it isn’t “made up” as you define it. That’s cool. But for fuck’s sake – that doesn’t make it acceptable. It still sounds like shit. And playing the Saint card means less than nothing to me.

KB July 5, 2011 at 12:26 pm

By the way, I realize this is a really old post – I just happened to be doing a search on this name and came across it. That being said, I just looked at some of your other posts on names you feel are stupid and tend to agree with um, nearly all of them. They are pretty bad. I am really not a fan of all the ridiculous spellings, let alone the names that should not even be given as names…

KB July 5, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Ha, that’s fine – you don’t have to like it. Don’t care much about Saints either. Just wanted to point out it wasn’t one of these new, goofy names. Whether or not someone likes it, it does have some valid history. I see why you put it on here (obviously, since you don’t like it), so that part makes sense to me. I just figured I’d back myself up when I said it wasn’t new or made up.

Anyway, overall the site is pretty funny. Most of the names you write about are pretty awful.

Lemonjello Redenbacher July 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Fair enough, KB! Glad you agree that there are too many shit names out there – we need more people like you around to keep these maniacs in line.

Anonymous January 29, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Lame..I hate the modern john mike bobby names but you don’t hear me bitchin about it. You don’t like it, don’t name your kid it. This is a big world, I’m sure someone out there hates your name.

Lemonjello Redenbacher March 4, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Then stay the fuck away from here!

Your name is dumb too March 12, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Breccan is a great Irish name. Your ignorance is impenetrable. Your arrogance is astounding. And you are free to your opinion, of course, but try to be a little more articulate in your antipathy of a name. Thanks.

Lemonjello Redenbacher March 31, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Fuck you and fuck the name Breccan. How’s that? Did I articulate that clearly enough for you?

Anonymous April 3, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Braccan sounds like a very classy name