Echo

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on October 1, 2009

This lady says that her step-brother’s girlfriend is going to name her kid Echo, and that she has never heard anyone with that name before.

You don’t say?!?  You mean to tell me that you have never heard anyone named after the phenomenon of the reflection and repetition of sound?  Huh…come to think of it, I haven’t either.  Maybe that’s because it’s NOT A FUCKING NAME!

Amber January 20, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Hah. I know some skanky trailer trash teen who got knocked up & named her baby Echo.

Kelly January 20, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I’m with you on most of these, but Echo is only uncommon in North American middle-suburbia. It’s a well liked Greek/Latin name that comes from the myth of Narcissus.

Lemonjello Redenbacher January 21, 2010 at 10:37 am

Kelly — according to the Social Security Administration, who actually keep stats on this sort of thing — Echo has not been in the top ONE THOUSAND names in any year in the past ten years in America. Seems like it’s uncommon in all of America to me. I can’t speak for inferior countries.

Amber January 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm

It may be a Greek/Latin name but I can absolutely guarentee that the people who named their crotchdroppings ‘Echo’, were neither Greek nor Latin. Just igorant & wanting their kid to get beat up in school. =]

Serafina January 3, 2011 at 2:11 am

Echo was the name of a greek goddess

Probably is the best name for a child though

Artemis February 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Echo wasn’t a goddess she was a nymph. The goddess Hera was pissed off at her so she cursed her to only repeat the last words people say to her. Echo then fell in love with Narcissus (major jerk) who ignored her so she a)faded away until only her voice remained or b) killed herself. What a wonderful story to draw name inspiration from!

Bill April 18, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Echo? Here in California it seems there are a lot of Asian women with that name. I can think of about five. But yes, it’s still a stupid name for a child.

Matt December 26, 2013 at 8:32 pm

It’s probably the result of the father having a thing for the grade school principal so he gives his kid this stupid name ensuring that his kid will get his ass kicked and he’ll get called to the principal’s office.