Shem

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on September 2, 2009

Why’d you stop there?  Add a “P” and he could have been one of the three fucking stooges!

This “name” has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.  It sounds awful, it means nothing and there is no nickname that can be made from it.  It could be the biggest naming fuck up I have ever seen.

Ducky September 3, 2009 at 11:17 pm

I know someone named Shemp, and for the longest time I thought it was a nickname…then I learned the cold hard truth…his parents hated him.

Taking Over December 19, 2011 at 2:52 am

lol. hahaha, wow ignorance never ceases to amaze me, well, first off, Shem DOES have a meaning, it means “renown” , and secondly it isn’t even english , its Hebrew, so I guess all foreign names would be “fuck ups” huh? It isn’t right to compare an American name(shemp) to a foreign name(shem)
and who cares if you can’t make a nickname for it, whatever someones real name is you should call them by it, unless they say otherwise, plus I bet you are looking at it from an American standpoint comparing it to other American names rather than realizing that it isn’t even from America or the English language, and has been around longer than your average Tom, Dick, and Harry names

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 19, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Very insightful. Nice use of capitalization too!

If you had taken the time to look around, you would have confirmed your suspicions that yes, indeed, I am writing this from an American’s point of view because, wait for it…I’m a fucking American! How novel, huh? The “let’s all hold hands and share a Coke” world you seem to crave is non-existent. People in different countries make fun of kids with names from without said countries. Therefore, if you are from a country and you name your kid something foreign – you’re an asshole. Period. You’re setting your kid up to be mocked, ridiculed and generally fucked with.

Anonymous December 20, 2011 at 11:37 am

Yeah pretty much figured you we’re American…pretty obvious even before you said so. Here is an example: An Israeli family in Israel have a son and decide to name him Shem(considering its a Hebrew name and originates in Israel) and lets say his main language is Hebrew and is also raised to speak English, then at the age of 10 his family along with him, move to America, then thats when all the name bashing begins from his peers. So his parents are assholes for naming him that? Just because they named him something native to where they are from? Maybe it’s people that shouldn’t be so ignorant and diss and reject everything that is different from what they are used to, and I know it’s “the world we live in” but just because it’s whats expected and common to do so, doesn’t make it right. Oh and by the way making fun of foreign names, that’s mostly in America, considering how many ignorant Americans there are(there are ignorant people all over the world I know this) but the states are known for it, I’m not saying that if someone named Shem goes to japan, that his name won’t be made fun it, it may, by someone eventually, but not much and not by as many people as apposed to if he went to America.
now I can understand if a typical American named there son Shem, just to try to be cool or different yet, didn’t even know the meaning or origin, then yeah that’s lame, it’s not always the name itself, its sometimes the reason(s) why they name there kids a particular name.

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 20, 2011 at 11:40 am

Wait – if we’re such assholes over here – what the fuck are Shem’s parents moving here for? Seems to me that they are assholes not only for naming him Shem, but also for dragging him to the land of ignorant dicks!

Anonymous December 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Didn’t mean to make it seem like I’m generalizing, I’m not saying every American is stupid and ignorant, it’s just that a lot of them are, not all of them. And plenty of foreign people come from all over to get jobs in America, to make a better life, and for financial reasons, they don’t go necessarily to socialize lol, I mean come on, anyway, lets just say thats why his parents came to America, for jobs, but thats gettin a little off topic, and I still don’t understand why someone would be an asshole for naming there kid a name that is native to where they are from, I mean I get it everyone has an opinion on what sounds cool and what doesn’t personally I like the name Shem, but seems to me that the real assholes are the people who reject, and disrespect things that they aren’t accustomed to, making fun of someones name just because its different, thats what I would call an asshole

Lemonjello Redenbacher December 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Making fun of someone’s name because it’s different is what I call a “kid.” That’s what they do. Yes, they’re fucking assholes, but telling that to the kid that gets the brunt of their teasing does nothing to sooth their pain. Yes, the parents of the “teasers” should teach their kids not to tease – but let’s be realistic. Kids are going to tease. So Shem’s parents should keep that in mind before naming their kid in America or before moving to America.

Shea January 9, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Actually, the French are known to be quite ignorant.