John Henry

by Lemonjello Redenbacher on July 10, 2009

Standing alone, each of these names are traditional and just fine.  But today I read about a kid that goes by John Henry.  That’s what the other kids call him.  Not John, whose last name happens to be Henry.  They say, “Hey, John Henry…wanna play?”   I am not certain, but I doubt that he’s a large, black steel driving man.

Don’t name your kids after legendary figures.  I don’t hear of many Paul Bunyans or Pecos Bills running around.  Wanna know why?  Because they’re fucking stupid names.   Just like John Henry.

Natalie July 23, 2009 at 4:53 pm

O.K., what the heck is wrong with this?
You say it’s a “fucking stupid name.”
Although fictional, would YOU want to call a John-Henry type “fucking stupid?”
Also, being from the Steel Town of Pittsburgh, PA, where we take our steel very seriously, I doubt you have the guts (or the balls, for that matter) to do so.

Lemonjello Redenbacher July 23, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I just did.

Natalie July 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I guess this is one of those “say what you mean” instances- I meant to his face, should such a man exist.

Lemonjello Redenbacher July 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Exactly. And he doesn’t. I probably wouldn’t fuck with Paul Bunyan either — but I guess in the real world we don’t have to worry about that, huh?

Natalie July 23, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Ah, I do enjoy the banter…

Lemonjello Redenbacher July 23, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Me too!

Natalie July 23, 2009 at 5:29 pm

I have to admit you’re growing on me!
I’ll bet your name is something odd- you just won’t fess up!

Lemonjello Redenbacher July 23, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Well, I kinda like you too, Natalie. At least you don’t come here and bash me in fragmented sentences and have no basis for your comments, and then hypocritically laugh at the names that you DO think are dumb — like some other posters we have had.

I promise you my name is very normal. I just won’t tell it because I would have countless angry Moms of Zaynas, Traytons and Valins at my doorstep. ;)

Natalie July 23, 2009 at 5:35 pm

L.R.-
As a teacher, I’ve seen my share of “interesting” names. Wish I would have had the go-ahead to say what I’ve really thought about them.
In the meantime, I’ll be checking your list for new additions!
-Natalie

Lemonjello Redenbacher July 23, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Oh…I bet you have. I sure bet you have.

That’s what people like me are for — to say the things that those of you who want to, can’t.

Thanks for following. Oh — and if you are a Twitterer, you can follow us there (StupidKidNames is the username). If not — just keep coming back. I am just getting started!

Natalie July 23, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I will check it out.

Thanks for the fun- I originally came here all hot-and-bothered (maybe not a bad thing :) and left smiling and chuckling!
Catch you later, L.R.!

Lemonjello Redenbacher July 23, 2009 at 5:48 pm

You’re welcome. And thanks for being reasonable. I’m glad I turned you — we welcome the good and the good and the bad, but we get along a lot better with the good.

Especially if the good has a nice, normal name like Natalie.

Natalie July 23, 2009 at 5:50 pm

The pleasure was mine- glad I let the “Type B” side to my personality take over.